The nice thing about the produce co-op, is we get exposed to new stuff. Good stuff. This week’s new stuff was Rainbow Chard. It was new to me, anyway. I’ve seen it in the market but shied away from it. What was this technicolor mutant celery? It looked like rhubarb gone wild. I’m not a fan of rhubarb, so, no way was I going to try this stuff. Well, since I’m typing this, we all know I lied. I did try this stuff. And this stuff is good. The stalks cooked tender and the leaves had a peppery bite to them that I really liked. Chard is quite healthy for you! A half cup serving of chard packs in 28% of your RDA of Vitamin A, 26% of Vitamin C, 22 % Magnesium and 20 % of the iron you need. So, don’t be like me and fear the chard. Embrace it. Then, clean it and eat it.
Today, for you, I will prepare Pasta with Rainbow Chard and White Beans.
You will need, hmm, PASTA! Any kind will do. Chard don’t care. I used Campanelle. They look like little flowers. Nice.
Then you’ll need cherry tomatoes, garlic, cannellini beans, some shaved or grated parmesan cheese, crushed red pepper flakes, and some pretty, rainbow chard.
Cook the pasta according to the box directions. Drain, toss with a little olive oil to prevent sticking and set aside.
Swirl some oil in a pan and toss in the quartered cherry tomatoes.
Saute them for about 2 minutes, then add the garlic. Cook for another minute.
Add in the chard stems and cook, covered for three minutes.
Then, pile on the chard leaves. Really, pile them all in, they’ll cook down to nothing.
Cover and cook two minutes until they wilt down some. Uncover and add in the beans, red pepper flakes. Sprinkle on the salt & pepper.
Keep the cover off and cook, stirring occasionally, until the leaves are fully wilted, about another three minutes.
Pour the cooked pasta in a large serving dish and top with the chard and bean mixture. Toss to combine fully. Top with shaved cheese.
Sprinkle a little more cheese on each serving, just because you can.
- 12 ounce box of pasta
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 bunches rainbow chard, stems and leaves separated and cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
- 1 15.5-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon each of salt and pepper
- ¼ cup shaved Cabot monterey jack cheese
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain. Return to pot, toss with 1 teaspoon oil and keep warm.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and cook about 2 minutes. Stir in the chard stems and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the chard leaves, packing them down, Cover and cook until partially wilted, about 2 minutes. Remove the cover and fold in the cannellini beans, ½ teaspoon each of salt & pepper, the red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until the chard leaves are tender, another 3 minutes..
- Place the cooked pasta in a large serving bowl and top with the chard mixture. Toss to combine. Sprinkle shaved cheese on top.