Where I live, back yard gardens are in full swing. If you are like me, someone has already gifted you with a bag or two of summer squash. You are left scrambling for ways to use your bag of goodness.
I’m going to help you out here and share my recipe for Calabacitas or summer squash casserole.
Your starting ingredients.
Quarter and dice your squash. Add the squash and chopped onion to the oil in a large saute pan.
Saute over medium heat until barely tender, about 10 minutes.
Add in your shredded cheese, the corn, garlic and green chiles. Salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
Pour into your buttered casserole dish, bake and enjoy!
- 4 zucchini and yellow squash, quartered and diced. Any combo to give you 4 squash total.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 1 - 4 ounce can chopped green chiles
- 1 - 16 ounce can whole kernel corn
- ½ cup grated Cabot cheddar cheese
- ½ cup grated Cabot monterey jack cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Saute squash and onion in oil until barely tender.
- Add garlic, chilies, corn and cheese; mix well. Add in the salt and pepper.
- Pour into a buttered 1-quart casserole and bake at 400º for 20 minutes.